2. My God, my God, why have you left me far from my redemption? – are the words of my outcry.
3. O God, I call by day and you will not accept my prayer; and by night I have no quiet
4. But you are holy, who make the world rest on the psalms of Israel.
5. Our fathers hoped in you they hoped in your word, and you saved them.
6. In your presence they prayed and were saved; and on you they relied, and were not disappointed.
7. But I am a feeble worm, not a rational man; the reproach of the sons of men, and the butt of the Gentiles.
8. All who see me will gloat over me, attacking with their lips; they will shake their heads.
9. Let him give praise in the presence of the Lord; and he has delivered him, he saved him because he favored him.
10. Because you took me out of the womb; you gave me hope on my mother’s breasts.
11. By your aid I was pulled forth from her bowels; from my mother’s womb you are my God.
12. Be not far from me, for trouble is near, for there is no redeemer.
13. The Gentiles have surrounded me, who are like many bulls; the princes of Mathnan have hemmed me in.
14. They open their mouths at me like a roaring and ravaging lion.
15. Like water I am poured out; all my bones are crushed; my heart is melting like wax within my bowels.
16. My strength has dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue is stuck to my palate; and you have brought me to the grave.
17. Because the wicked have surrounded me, who are like many dogs; a gathering of evildoers has hemmed me in, biting my hands and feet like a lion.
18. I will tell of all the wounds of my bones; those who see me despise me.
19. They divide my clothing for themselves; and for my cloak they will cast lots.
20. You, O Lord, do not be far off; O my strength, hurry to my aid.
21. Save my soul from those who slay with the sword; from the power of the dog, save the breath of my body.
22. Redeem me from the mouth of the lion; and from kings who are strong and tall as a bull you have received my prayer.
23. I will tell of the might of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the assembly I will praise you.
24. O you who fear the Lord, sing praise in his presence; all the seed of Jacob, give him glory; and be afraid of him, all you seed of Israel.
25. For he does not despise or scorn the prayer of the poor; and he has not removed his presence from their midst; and when they pray in his presence, he accepts their prayer.
26. My psalm in the assembly of many people is from you; I will fulfill my vows before those who fear him.
27. The humble will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the Lord will sing praise in his presence; the spirit of prophecy will dwell in the thoughts of your hearts forever.
28. All the ends of the earth will remember his offerings and will repent in the presence of the Lord; and all the families of the Gentiles will bow down before you.
29. For kingship is from the presence of the Lord, and he rules over the Gentiles.
30. All who are fat on earth have eaten and bowed down; all who descend to the grave prostrate themselves before him; but the soul of the wicked shall not live.
31. The seed of Abraham will worship in his presence; and they will tell the mighty greatness of the Lord to a later generation.
32. Their children will return and recount his generosity; to his people yet to be born they will recount the wonders he performed.
From the Aramaic Targums